I asked my sons what happens in the month of May and they both responded, “The Avengers!” I was expecting for them to say Mother’s Day or my birthday, but obviously their little minds are in another place. I’m excited about seeing The Avengers too so I wasn’t upset at all by the slight. (We’re planning on going this weekend when it opens.) In any event, below are 8 other things that I’m anticipating this month…
- Cinco De Mayo: Since we instituted “Taco/Mexican” Tuesdays in our home, I have been obsessed with Mexican food. I’ll be sharing some of my favorite recipes for Cinco de Mayo.
- National Teacher’s Day is May 8th. While I reserve the larger gifts for the holidays, I will be sending each of my kids’ teachers a thank you card. Teachers have such a huge impact on kids’ perceptions of school and I’m really grateful that my kids have each had really great experiences to date!
- Food-themed benefits: On the higher end of the price scale, R Baby Foundation will be hosting their Five Star Food & Wine Gala on May 9th. Then, on May 19th, the moderately priced Taste of Tribeca will take place to benefit Tribeca’s PS 150 and PS 134.
- Mother’s Day is May 13th. The celebration will last all month on Foodie City Mom. There will be food and drink recipes, gift ideas (and giveaways!) sprinkled throughout the site in honor of this special life role.
- “Spy: The Secret World of Espionage” launches on May 18th at Discovery Times Square. My sons fancy themselves as super spies, so I anticipate this being a great family outing. There will be actual items from the vault of the CIA. Visitors will be able to create disguises, alter their voices, and navigate mazes of security laser beams among other things.
- Monet’s Garden at The New York Botanical Garden. I might have to go to this exhibit by myself or with a girlfriend due to “my guys” allergies, but I love Monet’s Impressionist work. I really want to see this exhibit that highlights the gardening that inspired his art.
- I’ll be 39 on May 21st, so I think that I’m pretty much done with birthing actual babies. However, I will be working out the details of my newest “online baby”, the Mom in the City site! It focuses on curated deals and (primarily) free family-friendly events. Let me know what you think…
- Memorial Day is May 28th and I’ll be sharing some delicious barbecue recipes as well as some creative Memorial Day party ideas that I picked up from “expert” event designer, Shawn Rabideau.
Do you have anything fun planned for the month of May?